Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Worthwhile to wash jars straight from the factory?  (Read 6982 times)

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: Worthwhile to wash jars straight from the factory?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2023, 07:43:36 am »
An older topic but interesting. What are your thoughts on this?
I would because the effort/risk level is within my low standards.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2023, 04:00:15 pm »
If I used plastic jars/lids, I'd probably wash them after I purchased them, but for glass Ball jars with metal lids, I really don't see the need.  I do run used jars through the dishwasher (which is basically the home equivalent of an autoclave for sterilizing) and just let them air dry, since towel drying can actually introduce debris.  Lids I just wash in hot soapy water and towel dry. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2023, 10:37:05 pm »
    Home dishwasher Do not get hot enough. At least in Massachusetts.. The last rinse of water on the dishes or bottles.. Needs to be 185 F..  For 3 minutes.. And also has to have  1/2 ounce of a  Sanitize per load. To get the water this hot and stay this hot. You need a commercial hot water heater.. As well as a commercial dishwasher. No Home Dishwasher will do this. Believe me Plastic container will come out Deformed. Yes I used to bring my bottles to my brother's restaurant.. After hours To Wash honey bottles. Before this I used to use a church kitchen. At the church I belong to.

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2023, 11:56:40 pm »
Sorry I should have said "sanitize", not "sterilize".  But 99% is good enough for me in this case.  :wink:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2023, 07:50:46 am »
When it comes to cleaning jars and dishes for that matter, the most important thing is to remove all food or material and then get them dry. Soaps for the most part do not kill bacteria. When there is no material to keep the bacteria moist, the bacteria crystallize when it dries. This is what kills the bacteria. Not the actual washing of it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2023, 11:38:02 am »
Blowmolding operator in a baby products factory for ~five years. One of my duties was giving the inspector packers their breaks and lunches, this involved picking up four* bottles at once, placing them on a light table then putting them in a box if they passed inspection. Fastest machine made ~5,000 per shift and there were sometimes three running... The inspector packers wore gloves, I did not :shocked: Estimate I had my grubby fingers inside well over a million baby bottles! So, washing things made in factories might be a good idea.

*Some folks could do six at a time, I never mastered that.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2023, 11:41:46 am »
Good point William!  :grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2023, 06:42:44 pm »
We only sell honey in glass jars.
We used to hire a comercial kitchen in their off time and wash all jars in one of their dishwashing units.

The jars would come out too hot to touch and would dry very quickly.
As we do a few thousand jars a year now we had to make some chages.
The manufaturer assures us that the jars are :"clean' but not " sterile".
The do arrive here seal wrapped and are indeed clean - we use them as they arrive on a pallet. Each jar is checked before filling but I can't recall ever finding anything in a jar.
We give customers a dollar for each returned jar.
We soak them in dishwashing water, clean them inside and out and remove the labels and then rinse them with very hot water.
Lids generally need to be replaced.
Accepting jars back has resulted in a very loyal clientel.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2023, 07:25:06 pm »
Thanks Max, the loyalty in return customer business is a good situation. How much do the same style jars that you are describing cost new in your country?

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2023, 07:51:41 pm »
I like Max?s loyalty scheme. Recycling is so important in the modern throw away world. It sits so well with the natural product that we are selling. Many customers have the same opinion. Packaging is becoming quite expensive in Australia. Small scale beekeepers aren?t given  the volume discounts that larger operators seem to get. I would be interested in hearing the price that Max pays for jars. I only buy small quantities and pay a premium for that. 500g Australian made hex jars cost me $1.00 but can be as cheap as 80 cents if I buy 1000. 1kg jars cost $1.60 each with discounts for larger purchases. I normally wait for some specials to appear before buying. On the topic of cleaning, I wonder how new jars are handled and or treated by large honey packing companies?

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2023, 05:52:56 pm »
Surprise...but we had some rain last night. Not much, 6.2mm and it is still drzzling and i use it as an excuse to do some office work.

A pallet of 1kg jars holds 1260 jars.
I pay just over a dollar per jar with lid

The 500g jars are about 10 cents cheaper.
BUT...I also have to pay $ 10 for each of the corflut inlais each - there are 7 in a stack and $ 50 for the pallet each.
I get the money back if i return them in good order
BUT , and here is the pain , as I'm in a rural area the transport costs me $ 330 for the load.
This means that - in round figures- a 1kg jar costs me $ AUS 1.40 each and the 500g jars cost me $ 1.30 each.( including lid)

These are flint jars. I'm told they are made in Australia from recycled materials. It is hard to believe that each lid costs me about 24cents!

Recycling in my area is very important as a selling point. Maleny used to be known as the "Coop town" . Many have now closed but the Food Coop in town is still the second biggest Coop in Australia.

Each year I go through my costs in detail and the costs keep creaping up.
I can't increase the sale price as I have a bloke who is selling his honey ( in a plastic tub) for $ 4 less then what we are selling the honey.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2023, 08:32:08 pm »
Recycling in my area is very important as a selling point. Maleny used to be known as the "Coop town" . Many have now closed but the Food Coop in town is still the second biggest Coop in Australia.

Max please forgive my ignorance but wat is "Coop Town" is that an Australian term?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2023, 08:35:18 pm »
I think he's talking about a co-op, Phillip.  Like farmer's cooperative or something similar.   

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2023, 08:48:47 pm »
Thanks Reagan....

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2023, 09:13:02 pm »
Reagan I did a little investigating and found this! I think you and your Family will enjoy the read! I am doubtful the following is what Max is talking about. I think you are right there about a Coop Town in Australia, I feel sure Max will chime in when he gets a chance.. In the meantime check this out!

Totally The Bomb.com

"This Man Built His Wife a Mini Chicken Coop Town and
It is just like an old town square! There is a hotel, a cafe, a mercantile and more!
He even made them a saloon!"

https://totallythebomb.com/mini-chicken-coop-town