Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax Moth Damage in Last Year's Honey Super  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Wax Moth Damage in Last Year's Honey Super
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:37:25 am »
After freezing my medium honey frames last fall, I stored them in plastic bags and placed them in my garage.  Took them out last week and found that wax moths have damaged one of them;  both have some webbing. 

After searching this site on handling wax moth damage, it appears that I can freeze the frames again and then put them on my strongest hive for the bees to finish cleaning up and repairing them.

Question:  Since the first freezing didn't appear to kill the wax moths, how long should I freeze the frames this time?
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Wax Moth Damage in Last Year's Honey Super
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:01:51 am »
It seems to me that wax moths got into the combs once you took them out of the freezer and put them in the garage.

48 hours of freezing temps should kill them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:08:56 pm »
JP is correct on the time, I usually only freeze for 24 hours, but if you wanted to make sure go with 48.

You don't need to freeze before you put them on the super though, the bees will clean it out even if the wax moth larvae isn't dead.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:20:08 am »
Thanks!

I have put 5 of the 10 frames in the freezer to "cure".  That's as many as my small freezer will hold.

I'm going to have to replace a couple of the other 5 frames though....................a raccoon or possum ate the comb out of one of the frames that I had left outside in the driveway!  He didn't seem to mind the wax moth damage!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:27:58 pm »
Lol, they never do!