Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HELP! Bumblebee Prevention Ideas  (Read 1918 times)

Offline hansenm463

• Brood
HELP! Bumblebee Prevention Ideas
« on: April 03, 2019, 02:05:22 pm »
Was wondering if I can get any suggestions on prevention of a recurring bumblebee nest? I have a concrete stoop underneath my deck (stoop was originally built with home and then a deck was built on top of it). The stoop is roughly 5 feet wide by 4 feet and 1.5-2 feet tall. I have lived in the home for 5 years. The first summer there was a bumblebee nest under the stoop. The next summer, nothing. The following summer, back again. I would not mind them if they were not right outside the patio door with my child running in and out. I have had a beekeeper out a few times and due to access constraints, he was not able to do much. I am tearing off the deck boards to replace and want to address this the best I can to prevent any further nests. Any suggestions besides tearing up the stoop (which is timely and costly and a last resort). Dusts/filler/anything? It appears the bees were making holes in the dirt to get underneath. Those were filled by the beekeeper but new holes were made. I am 100% sure they were bumblebees and not carpenter bees. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: HELP! Bumblebee Prevention Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 04:23:51 pm »
Bumble bees are attracted to abandoned mouse nests.  Yours seems to be also attracted to abandoned bumble bee nests.  Can you see where they are getting in and out?  (the entrance)  If so, I would get some "great stuff" which is an aresol can of polyurethane foam.  Spray that in the entrance until it's foaming out of the entrance.  Now would be a good time before they decide to move in again.  Dirt they will just dig out... the foam will be more of a deterrent.  Cement, of course would be also, but it's doubtful you'll get it back into the nest.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:56:23 am »
Hansen,
Welcome to Beemaster.
What Michael said x2.
The bumblebees are using existing holes so filling them completely is the answer.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hansenm463

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:36:49 am »
Thank you for the recommendation. I am tearing off the deck boards this weekend so I will have a better idea of the entrance points. I know the previous beekeeper that tried to help out brought great stuff and tried to fill any holes that he was able to see by crawling underneath the deck. They made another hole once he did that. I assume that was because it was an active nest though. I am hoping that if I fill any existing entrance points this weekend that I can be ahead of the game before it is an active nest again.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 02:47:23 pm »
My guess is that you have a concrete stoop that is precast and hollow inside.  If they keep digging the dirt out that may be the issue.  Perhaps adding some smell might help disuade them.  I don't know enough about bumble bees to know what might help.  They are obviously smelling the old nest.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything